This is my take on a Spectral Shield Throw build scaling Physical and Bleed damage through the Duelist Class with Gladiator Ascendancy.
The twist on this build is that it uses the unique Soul Taker Siege Axe to provide defensive mitigation by allowing our pure Physical damage to Chill (30% maximum enemy speed reduction) and Physical and Bleed damage scaling using the Hypothermia Support Gem allowing us to reliably reach 450k+ DPS.
1. Keystone Passives
- Resolute Technique – The mechanics of Spectral Shield Throw require an accuracy check on both the Shield and each individual Shard which can make frequent missing a real problem without significant investment into accuracy on our tree and / or gear. One keystone fixes that problem.
- Blood Magic – Scaling pure physical and bleed damage leaves us very few offensive aura options and our multi layered defense doesn’t require a defensive aura. This keystone is an easy choice.
- Iron Grip – Our Strength number in our final tree will scale well over 300 making this one point a no brainer.
- Crimson Dance – Big bleed DPS boost for boss fighting
- Point Blank – Our playstyle is mostly up close and personal making this node another easy choice for DPS.
2. Class & Ascendancy
Our chosen class is the Duelist with the Gladiator Ascendancy. The Gladiator Ascendancy is the best way to scale Bleed chance and damage, has the excellent Bleed Explosion for mob clearing and great defensive mitigation with shields using Block, and Spell Block.
Recommended Ascendancy Class progress is:
- Blood in the Eyes (The Labyrinth)
- Gratuitous Violence (The Cruel Labyrinth)
- Painforged (The Merciless Labyrinth)
- Versatile Combatant (The Eternal Labyrinth)
Head – Lightpoacher (2 Abyssal Sockets)
- Lightpoacher is easy to find Uber Lab Enchanted with 40 % Increased Spectral Shield Throw Damage and the Spirit Burst augments mob clearing while mapping as well Life Recovery and defensive mitigation through application of Blind with our helm Support Gem link.
Abyssal Jewels in Helm Affix Priority
- Murderous Eye Jewel
- +# maximum Life + +% chance to gain Phasing on Kill + +% Attack Speed
- Searching Eye Jewel
- +#maximum Life, Added Physical Damage to Attacks, Increased Damage over Time while holding a shield
Chest – Lioneye’s Vision (Pseudo 7-link)
- Lioneyes Vision provides us with a pseudo 7 link with a Level 15 Pierce for Spectral Shield Throw. This is a significant DPS boost and much better Shield Shards penetration in packs.
Belt – The Nomad (Fated Unique)
- The Nomad is used for it’s increased Global Physical damage, increased Projectile damage, increased Elemental resistances, and 50% increased Flasks charges gained.
Boots – Darkray Vectors
- Darkray Vectors are used for it’s +1 to Maximum Frenzy charges, 2% Chance to Dodge attacks per Frenzy Charge, and increased Movement speed per Frenzy charge.
Gloves – Tombfist (2 Abyssal Sockets)
- Tombfist Gloves provide +% increased Attack speed, increased maximum Life, and apply Intimidate and Maim to targets on socketed with a Searching Eye a Murderous Eye Jewel.
- Life Flask #1 Affix Priority – Freeze removal, freeze immunity, instant recovery or increased recovery
- Life Flask #2 Affix Priority – Bleed removal, bleed immunity, instant recovery or increased recovery
- The Overflowing Chalice – Increased damage, increased flask charges gained
- Rumi’s Concoction -Increased chance to block
- Utility Flask
If you are new to the game and don’t want to mess up your first build, follow some build guide from https://www.u4gm.com/path-of-exile. Another option is to just mess around yourself and see how things work but sometimes it can get frustrating if you cannot kill monsters/progress further, so be careful with it.